Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tote that Barrow, Lift that Bale

The garden is growing, in more ways than one.  Monday afternoon I built two more beds, transferred some herbs and the tomato plants, planted some perennials along the northern border, started whacking in fence posts, and put up some poles for the pole beans.


I was very excited to see the beans doing so well (and I hope the peas soon catch up)!  I have to figure out a trellising strategy now.  In the past, I've made trellising out of baling twine, but I'm not sure that will be the best solution here, where the winds are quite strong.  I may have to look into fencing.  


Originally I had stuck these herbs (chives and oregano) in a planter by the house, but the hosta were just too robust and I don't think the herbs would've had a chance.  I think they will be much happier in the full sun and all the space of the garden.


I put the fence posts about three feet out from the outer path of the garden, and while trying to come up with something to do with the space in between, it occurred to me that this would be a great location for perennials - plants that would bring in pollinators, maybe some herbs, etc.  I still had some plants in pots from the plant sale at work, so I placed them along this edge and mulched them with the straw I bought a couple weeks ago.  What went in?  Artemesia, apple mint, valerian, anise hyssop, and  black-eyed Susans.


Like all good overseers, Toby supervised from the shade of the maple tree.


When I joined him on a break, I was bummed to see my old nemesis flying around:  rose chafers.


What else was planted on Monday?  Fava beans (good for building soil), corn, dill, buttercup squash.  Yesterday my sweet potato slips arrived, looking rather the worse for wear, so I built another bed last night after work and got them into the ground.  Used up the last of the marsh hay, so I am now out of mulch.  Will have to make another trip to the garden shop.

Meanwhile, I'm not too sure about this "topsoil" I purchased.  When it dries, it has quite a crust on it.  Looking closely at its make up, it seems to be primarily sand, and I suspect clay.  Where is the humus?  I think I will definitely have to order some compost, and then make the rounds to my neighbors to see if anyone would like to bring me a load of manure.

No comments:

Post a Comment