Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Talkin' Chickens

For several years now I've wanted to keep chickens.  The idea of having fresh eggs available right out the back door is very appealing.  And with backyard-chicken-keeping being the latest craze, it is easy to get sucked into the whole process.

So, what is stopping me?

First, I didn't have a place where I could keep chickens (zoning).  Now I live in farm country and have neighbors with chickens.  That excuse is no longer valid.

Then there's the set-up:  I don't have a coop.  I'd have to purchase or build something.  Funds are getting low, and I don't really have carpentry skills.  This is not a huge hold up, but something to consider.

I've worked at places where we raised chickens.  They aren't all fluffy, friendly, funny little birds.  Some are aggressive, some are henpecked.  There are diseases, parasites, and predators.

Would I raise 'em just for eggs, or would I also do meat birds?  Would I have the guts to slaughter 'em myself (I've been involved with chicken processing, but never had to wield the axe), or would I pay to have someone else do it?  Then there's the winter care of the birds.

When one really puts one's mind to it, one begins to have doubts.  Still, I really do like the idea of providing my own eggs and meat.  It's one less thing I need to purchase from someone else, and I'd know how the animals are raised and cared for.

"They" say that chickens are the easiest of the livestock animals to raise.  Maybe I could just start out with some meat birds...they only hang around for a few months before it's time to do 'em in.  Less of a commitment.  Something to think about.


3 comments:

  1. I've had many of the same thoughts. I worry that the structure must be secure enough to protect them from weasels or foxes. I know I could never slaughter them, they'd just be for eggs/pets.
    I had chickens when I was young and it didn't seem like a big deal. It's funny how as you age, you start to consider all the angles and hang back, when you never gave it a thought and just jumped in when young.
    This video of Amy Stewart training her chicken makes it very tempting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7kBP9jePrM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a woman who owned a flock of easter egg hens for a long time- they were easy to care for and always provided fresh, cage-free, delicious eggs for herself and her family. She usually had enough for herself and some to sell too. If it's always been a dream, go for it! You can never have too much quiche :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, unless you have high cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete