Wednesday, September 7, 2011

September Goodness

Monday was labor day, and for many folks that's just a day off from work.  For me, well, it was a regular day off, by I put myself to work, laboring in the garden.  It was time to dig the spuds.


It's not been often this year that I have been impressed with the results of the garden, but the potatoes made me a believer.  Only two of the three varieties made it - the Adirondack Blues were mostly rotted before they went into the ground, but the German butterballs and purple vikings did great.


A whole bushel of spuds!!!


Just look at the size of this baby! 
I've never had German butterballs this big.


Some grew in some pretty interesting shapes.

  And just look at these purple vikings!

These have got to be the biggest potatoes I've ever seen!


Here we are, finally, all sorted by size or variety.

All spuds are now on the back porch curing.  This should toughen up their skins so they store better.  And now that I have an actual root cellar, I'm looking forward to seeing how the do beyond a regular basement.
I also dug up one of the sweet potatoes, but although the roots were awfully colorful, there was not a sweet potato to be seen.  Some of the roots had swellings that might've eventually become "potatoes," but they were too small to bother with now.  Bummer.  So, that vine is going to be composted and I will leave the rest in the ground for a few more weeks in hopes that they will mature.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great crop of potatoes! I've never heard of either variety. The butterballs and vikings both look nice. I have a small patch of potatoes and so far have just been digging up a few as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. German butterballs are my FAVORITE spud. They make the BEST mashed potatoes. Both are heirloom varieties. Much better flavor than the generic russet. :)

    ReplyDelete